If you have a passion for biology, chemistry, and health, medical lab science is an excellent career choice for you. Medical lab science is the behind-the-scenes work in diagnosing and treating disease. Health professionals collect samples, while lab scientists run tests to understand what might be going on in a patient. They might discover cancer, infection, or genetic diseases. They might help develop a treatment for an illness. For these important roles, you’ll need a solid education in biology and health sciences. Wayne State provides just that. In fact, as our students obtain a degree in medical lab science, they are well-prepared to move on to graduate work at competitive universities such as the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC), and they enjoy successful careers in the medical field.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you will receive your B.A. or B.S. from WSC. You’ll spend about three years (90 hours) at WSC, plus a clinical year at an affiliate hospital.
For program: 55-56, plus clinical year at affiliate hospital
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Science
Department: Life Sciences
Accreditation: National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Microbial staining techniques
- Microbial enumeration
- Microbial identification
- Asceptic techniques
- Chemical analysis
- Molecular techniques
- Forensic analysis
- Criminal lab technologist
- Clinical lab technician
- Medical technologist
- Lab supervisor
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Medical research facilities
- Public health organizations
- Research and development companies
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Food science laboratories
- Chemical companies
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Forensic labs
Rural Health Opportunities Program (RHOP)
Medical lab science is eligible for the RHOP program. The only program of its kind in the state of Nebraska, RHOP educates students from rural Nebraska who will return to practice in rural areas of the state. If selected for RHOP, you’ll receive free tuition at Wayne State College and guaranteed admission into the relevant UNMC program.
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The American Society of Microbiology and The American Association for the Advancement of Science conferences. Additionally, you’ll get to work in the lab at the local community hospital.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the medical lab science program at Wayne State College. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.