Chemistry is the study of matter – its composition, structure, properties, and changes in state. Our faculty are dedicated to ensuring your education is one of discover, and our program gives you an understanding of the chemical world in which we live. It’s a great field to enter because it connects and helps you understand other sciences such as physics, biology, and geology. With a degree in chemical sciences from Wayne State College, you will be ready for graduate work or a variety of career opportunities. You can use your chemistry knowledge to enter the health professions such as medicine and pharmacy. Or you could become a product developer, creating things such as perfume, makeup, or cleaning solutions. All things are made of matter, so a degree in chemical sciences will give you an advantage no matter what career you choose.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For major: 55
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Math, Physics, Biology, Earth Science, Criminal Justice
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Physical Sciences and Mathematics
Research: Individualized research experience designed for your interest
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Chemical processes and materials
- Chemical experiment and design
- Modern equipment usage
- Analytical, organic, and inorganic chemistry
- Biochemistry and environmental chemistry
- Probability and statistics
- University physics and experimentation
- Advanced lab techniques and management
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Research, observation, and analysis of data
- Time management
- Forensic chemist
- Lab technician
- Chemical engineer
- Forensic scientist
- Research scientist
- Environmental scientist
- Soil scientist
- Nuclear engineer
- Chemical consultant
- Product developer
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Research labs
- Energy and utility companies
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Chemical companies
- Cosmetic companies
- Community programs
- Environmental agencies
- Public health organizations
- Manufacturing companies
- Government / federal agencies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research projects, class trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your work at regional conferences. Additionally, you’ll have opportunities to help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Jr. Academy of Science Fairs and also visit area analytical science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your chemistry degree, we encourage you to first complete an internship in order to gain field experience. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities in your field of study.