In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid to help you on your path to becoming a dentist.
Make people smile! That will be your job as a dentist. Or at least you’ll make their smile shine brighter. To become a dentist, you’ll start your path toward a dentistry degree by studying biology at Wayne State. You’ll develop a broad understanding of anatomy and physiology, biological systems and structures, as well as some chemistry and physics. You can graduate with your undergraduate degree from WSC and then be ready for graduate work in dental school to earn your DDS degree.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: This program is set up so you can receive your B.A. or B.S. from Wayne State, then be ready to move on to graduate work at a professional dentistry school.
Suggested courses of study at WSC: Biology
For major: 42-56, plus one year of clinical experience
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Life Sciences
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Human anatomy and physiology
- Introductory zoology
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Experimental plant science
- Molecular genetics
- Cellular biology
- General chemistry and physics
- Research, data collection, and analysis
- Modern lab techniques
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Pediatric dentist
- Oral surgeon
- Dental researcher
- Dental supply rep
- Dental health educator
- Program director
- Dental clinics
- Orthodontist clinics
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Community clinics
- University clinics
- Health departments
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Dental supply companies
- Dental publications
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 87% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at regional conferences, help judge at the Nebraska Science Bowl and Junior Academy of Science Fairs, visit area science labs.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships are not required for the pre-professional dentistry program at Wayne State College, as this is typically completed in professional school for degree completion. However, Career Services is available to help you find job opportunities if you are looking for field-related work experience.