Sociology is the scientific study of individuals, groups, and society. Courses emphasize the understanding of social issues and analysis of interactions between individuals and social groups, involving gender, social class, religion, and other aspects of culture and society. A sociology degree from Wayne State will help you learn to appreciate sociocultural diversity within and among societies and to be sensitive to people from various ethnic, religious, racial, and economic backgrounds. With a sociology degree, you will be ready to positively contribute to an increasingly diverse society. You’ll also be well-prepared for careers or graduate studies in the social sciences, community development and planning, public administration or policy, criminal justice and law, public health, and health sciences and medicine.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For major: 36
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Psychology, Criminal Justice, Spanish, Human Resource Management, Political Science, English, Public Administration, Public and Global Health, Biology
School: Natural and Social Sciences
Department: Psychology and Sociology
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Analytical thinking, writing, and research skills
- Understanding of human social and cultural diversity
- Sociology of deviance and problems
- Social and cultural aspects of urban and rural life
- Advanced insight into group behavior and dynamics
- Social welfare systems and service programs
- Religious beliefs and rituals across cultures
- Influence of social factors and trends on people
- History and role of ethnic and racial groups in America
- Social worker
- Family services worker
- Admissions rep
- Public policy analyst
- Consumer research specialist
- Probation officer
- College professor
- Human resource specialist
- Case manager or advisor
- Research analyst
- Public health professional
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Behavioral health clinics
- Social services agencies
- Community organizations
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Business and corporations
- Law enforcement agencies
- Research and consulting firms
- Political offices
- Marketing firms
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research projects, class trips, and more – Conduct your own research projects and present your work at area sociological symposiums and conferences. You will also have opportunities to attend lectures by guest speakers and visit places of sociological interest.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in sociology, we encourage you to complete an internship in order to gain some field experience. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities in this field of study.