What contributes to personality? What goes on in the mind of children as they grow and develop? What causes a criminal to commit a robbery or even a murder? Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behavior, and attempts to answer numerous questions like these. Psychology is a deep and exciting field, an excellent foundation for a variety of careers, graduate school, or professional school. Counseling, social service, criminal justice, even business and marketing fields are strongly based on the study of psychology. With a psychology degree, you’ll develop a good understanding of the human mind so you can make smart business choices or accurate predictions of how a person would act or react – both substantial benefits in any career. Get your psychology degree from Wayne State, and you’ll be prepared for any career related to human behavior.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Research and statistical methods
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Understanding how people think, behave, and feel
- Understanding the role of the brain, genes, and hormones in thought, behavior, and emotion
- Approaches to assess and treat abnormal psychology
- Oral, written, and interpersonal communication
- Insight into group and organizational behavior
- Understanding of diversity and individual differences
- Increased environmental, social, and cultural awareness
- How to apply knowledge, skills, and ethics in real-world situations
- Therapist / counselor
- College professor
- Social worker
- Substance abuse specialist
- Marketing specialist
- Human resource specialist
- Behavioral health technician
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Case manager or advisor
- Research analyst
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Behavioral health clinics
- Social services
- Community organizations
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Businesses and corporations
- Law enforcement agencies
- Research and consulting firms
- Marketing firms
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research projects – Conduct your own research projects and present your work at area symposiums and psychology conferences.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master course content and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree in psychology, we encourage you to complete an internship in order to gain some field experience. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities in this field of study.