Psychology studies the mind and behavior and is an excellent foundation for a variety of careers, especially education. With a psychology education degree, not only will you be able to teach your students well about psychology itself, but you’ll also have a good understanding of your students themselves. Earning a psychology education degree is your chance to help your students understand more about their own personalities and lives, as well as others’ ways of thinking. At Wayne State, you’ll develop the tools you need to become a successful psychology teacher at the junior high and high school levels.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Subject endorsement)
In addition to choosing the psychology subject endorsement, you will also need to select a field endorsement or a second subject endorsement to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For endorsement: 36
For professional education: 27-33
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Experimental psychology methods and research
- History of the development of psychology
- Deeper understanding of how people think
- Interactions between the brain and behavior
- Approaches to assess and treat abnormal psychology
- Forensic psychology including psychological profiling
- Insight into group and organizational behavior
- Psychopharmacology and the effects of drugs
- Increased environmental and social awareness
- Statistical measures used in social science research
- Teaching and instruction methods
- Curriculum development for grades 7-12
- Classroom management and organization
- Observation and analysis
- Communication and social skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Psychology teacher
- Counseling teacher
- Forensic psychologist
- Social worker
- Substance abuse specialist
- Human resource specialist
- Behavioral health technician
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Case manager or advisor
- Research analyst
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Education and learning centers
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Behavioral health clinics
- Social services
- Community organizations
- Government / federal agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Businesses and corporations
- Law enforcement agencies
- Research and consulting firms
- Marketing firms
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Research projects – Conduct your own research projects and present your work at area symposiums and psychology conferences.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree to teach psychology, you’ll complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.