Trendy clothing and classics. The latest styles. If you follow the world of fashion, you probably know exactly what’s in. You might even be wearing it yourself. Why not make it your life career with a fashion merchandising degree? Imagine yourself helping design new clothes, marketing or selling the latest trends, or even helping people dress appropriately for an occasion. At Wayne State, you’ll go beyond fashion itself and study business, marketing and promotion, how to analyze data on customers and sales, and even management – all important parts of the fashion industry. A fashion merchandising degree can open you to the world of clothing, beyond design, and give you the background you need to succeed in any part of the industry.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Soft furnishing design
- Clothing design, garment, and pattern drafting
- Fashion merchandising and buying
- Housing development and design
- Professional presentation techniques
- Consumer economics
- History of clothing and costumes
- Food preparation and baking
- Principles of marketing
- Foundations of human resource management
- Introductory accounting and finance
- Business management and leadership
- Fashion designer
- Accessory designer
- Visual merchandiser
- Fashion consultant
- Clothing specialist
- Retail buyer / assistant buyer
- Store/sales manager
- Display designer
- Merchandise coordinator
- Merchandise planner
- Market analyst
- Retail / department stores
- Boutiques and specialty stores
- Fabric stores
- Textile and fashion design studios
- Clothing manufacturers
- Merchandising companies
- Market research firms
- Textile manufacturers
- Interior design companies
- Wholesale and distribution companies
- Consumer publications
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Competitions and events – Earn national recognition and prizes for your skills and accomplishments when you compete in FCCLA STAR Events, and share knowledge and heart-healthy snacks at World Heart Day and the WSC Health Fair.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a degree in fashion merchandising. Career Services is available to help you find internships and job opportunities in this field of study.