In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and aid for your Spanish education degree.
Spanish Education Degree: Teaching Grades 7-12
Learning other languages is important because they help you understand your own language and help you communicate with others who don’t speak your language. If you enjoy the challenge of learning Spanish and have a desire to teach the next generation, consider becoming a Spanish teacher. With a Spanish education degree from Wayne State, you’ll be prepared to teach Spanish to grades 7-12 and make a difference in today’s world.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
In addition to choosing the Spanish subject endorsement, you will need to also select a field endorsement or a second subject endorsement to receive your B.A. or B.S. You must have two or more years of high school Spanish.
For subject endorsement: 30
Professional education: 27-33
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Reading and writing in Spanish
- Speaking and listening in Spanish
- History, politics, and philosophy of Spain
- Geography and economics of Spain
- Spanish literature throughout the ages
- Verbal communication and expression
- Classroom management and leadership
- Translation and interpretation
- Presentation and public speaking
- Professional standards and ethics
- Cultural awareness
- Problem solving
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Oral and written communication
- Time management
- Spanish teacher
- ESL teacher
- In-home tutor
- Translator or interpreter
- Writer or editor
- Social service worker
- Travel agent or guide
- Immigration specialist
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Colleges and universities
- Education facilities
- Government agencies
- Community programs
- International businesses
- Immigration service
- Non-profit organizations
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Social services
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 87% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teacher Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Cultural events – Join in the fun and help promote events such as Foreign Language Day, Dia de los Muertos festivities, picnics, field trips, and movie nights.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Before graduating with your degree to teach Spanish, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced Spanish teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.