Logos. Graphics. Magazines. Clothing. Everywhere you look, printed material displays the work of a graphic designer. Eye-catching design makes a world of difference in advertising, marketing, branding, and more. The graphic design program at Wayne State College gives you training on the latest design software as a production tool. We focus on teaching the techniques, procedures, and methods – all part of the design process. With a graphic design degree from Wayne State College, you will be open to a broad range of career opportunities.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 56
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Arts and Humanities
Department(s): Art and Design
Accreditation: National Association of Schools of Art and Design
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Adobe® creative software
- Creating and manipulating digital images
- Designing for print and digital media
- Typography and illustration
- Animation and interactive media
- Advanced drawing techniques
- Painting with oil and watercolor
- Printmaking and etching
- Fundamentals of web design
- History of art throughout various civilizations and cultures
- Project and time management
- Critical thinking and observation
- Creative communication and expression
- Graphic designer
- Art director
- Multimedia designer
- Layout designer
- Corporate / in-house designer
- Web designer / developer
- Print designer
- Package designer
- User experience (UX) designer
- User interface (UI) designer
- Screen printer
- Illustrator or animator
- Marketing coordinator
- Graphic design firms
- Online retailers
- Marketing agencies
- Advertising agencies
- Photography studios
- Printing companies
- Clothing companies
- Sign companies
- Magazines and newspapers
- Small and large businesses
- Government offices
- Non-profit organizations
- Colleges, universities, and schools
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State, you have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, art shows, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Shows and Exhibits
- Senior art exhibit – As a senior, you’ll get the chance to share your artwork on campus at the Nordstrand Art Gallery.
- Juried student exhibit – This art show takes place at the end of each spring semester, where your work is reviewed, judged, and prizes awarded.
- Visiting Artist Program – Regionally or nationally recognized artists display their work in the Nordstrand Visual Arts Gallery in media that build upon art and design courses.
- Regional, national, and international graphic design competitions
- Senior portfolio
- Art sales – At the end of the semester, you will have the opportunity to sell your own artwork. You’ll be involved in organizing, advertising, scheduling, and handling all art sales.
- Trips, workshops, and more – Visit galleries, museums, and graphic design firms. Participate in visiting artist workshops and critiques, help with Art Day festivities, and help promote art to youth through the high school outreach program.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all graphic design students to complete a semester-long internship before graduating. In this program, you’ll need complete an internship in the graphic design field to earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.