From the grandest skyscrapers to the smallest cabins, every building project must start with a plan. These plans consist of drawings, models, specifications, and other paperwork that must be prepared before digging in. At Wayne State College, you’ll study mechanical and architectural drafting, along with computer rendering and design project presentation. You’ll learn new software and applications to forward your success with a drafting degree. Here you’ll create a foundation of building design knowledge, so you’re ready to work with construction workers and others in the drafting, planning, and design field.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Architectural design
- Construction estimating and scheduling
- 3-D modeling, rendering, and design
- Surveying and print reading
- Electricity and electronics
- Occupational and environmental safety
- Manufacturing processes and systems
- Welding and fabrication
- Construction systems and technology
- Computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Business management and supervision
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Mechanical drafter
- Residential designer
- Architectural drafter
- CAD technician
- 3-D designer / renderer
- Product designer
- Industrial designer
- Project manager
- Building inspector
- Construction companies
- Architectural firms
- Home manufacturers
- Infrastructure companies
- Interior design firms
- Design companies
- Manufacturing companies
- Aircraft, marine, and vehicle companies
- Machine shops
- Graphic companies
- Government / federal agencies
- Engineering firms
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Field trips – Visit local construction and manufacturing facilities to meet pros in the industry and check out behind-the-scenes operations.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
You’ll have a chance to work with local companies in this field to help you gain experience and earn credit toward your degree in drafting. Career Services is also available to help you find the best internship opportunities.