Determining Appropriate Accommodations
To determine appropriate accommodations, the Disability Services Counselor in the WSC Holland Academic Success Center may seek information from appropriate college personnel regarding essential standards for courses, programs, and educational activities.
Students should be prepared to submit disability documentation to the Holland Academic Success Center that may include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Medical reports
- Psychological evaluations
- School records
- Records of any previous accommodations
The counselor meets individually with students to verify eligibility for accommodations and services and to assess individual needs. The counselor will obtain and review written documentation of disability and determine eligibility coverage under Section 504 and the ADA. The appropriateness of a requested accommodation is also determined by examining:
- the barriers resulting from the interaction between the documented disability and the campus environment;
- the possible accommodations that might remove the barriers;
- whether or not the student has access to the course, program, or activity without accommodation; and
- whether or not essential elements of the course, program, or activity are compromised by the accommodation.