Wayne State College

Personal Counseling

General Crisis Support

Helping someone in crisis

For emergency situations, call 911. This includes when a student:

  • Is a victim of an attack or is in physical danger
  • Appears to pose imminent danger to the safety of themselves or others
  • Exhibits behavior that makes you feel unsafe

If it is an emergency, call 911. You will be connected to the appropriate service. 

For non-emergency, but urgent situations, call the UCC for a consultation, or let the UCC know you'll be bringing a student over. This includes:

  • Debilitating anxiety and/or depression
  • Alcohol and/or drug abuse
  • Suicidal thoughts or behaviors
  • Violent thoughts or behaviors
  • Possible psychosis or mania

Talking with students in distress

If you're worried a student is at risk for suicide, it's best to ask directly:

  • Have you been thinking about suicide?
  • Are you in so much pain that you've thought about taking your own life?

Asking these question will not put the idea into someone's head. Follow-up questions:

  • Have you had these thoughts before?
  • Have you ever attempted suicide in the past?
  • How likely are you to act on these thoughts?
  • Do you have a plan?
  • Do you have access to the means?

General communication tips and reminders

  • Convey a sense of interest and caring
  • Empathetic reflection shows that you understand
  • Avoid judgement or blame
  • Always consult and involve others
  • Don't promise confidentiality
  • Err on the side of caution
  • Normalize help-seeking, therapy
  • Offer a 24/7/365 resource
  • Follow up with the student


Help for yourself

If you are experiencing a pressing mental health situation during Student Health and Counseling Services business hours, call or come in to the office, and you will be seen as soon as possible. In a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.

Student Health and Counseling Services

Phone: 402-375-7321
Location: Kanter Student Center, Room 103

After-hours support

Our after-hours support and crisis line can help you when Student Health and Counseling Services is closed. Call Campus Security at 402-375-7216, and they will connect with the on-call counselor. 

Additional community resources

Twenty-four-hour crisis coverage is available through Heartland Counseling Services and Behavioral Health Specialists. This is a short-term service which aims to assist adults and youth who are in a crisis as defined as, suicidal, homicidal, and/or psychotic. The crisis responder will screen all crisis calls to assess the severity of the problem. If the crisis responder identifies the problem as severe, the crisis responder will contact the licensed mental health therapist on call to request a crisis assessment be conducted.  

Dakota, Dixon, Thurston, Burt, and Wayne Counties

Madison, Stanton, Pierce, Antelope, Cuming, Cedar, and Knox Counties

Campus Security: 402-375-7216 - The Campus Security number is answered 24/7. If a counselor is available, Campus Security will put you in touch with someone. If a counselor is not available immediately, please refer to the helplines listed below. If Campus Security is not available to answer the phone, calls roll over to the Wayne Police Department Dispatcher.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK

Crisis Text Line: Text "Brave" or "Hello" to 741-741. The Crisis Text Line serves anyone, in any type of crisis, providing access to free, 24/7 support and information via a medium people already use and trust: text.

SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

The Trevor Project Lifeline (for struggling LGBTQ youth): 1-866-488-7386 - Available 24/7

Holland Academic Success Center - WSC resource for academic support