Spanish is the second-most spoken language in our country. With a minor in Spanish, you’ll be betterprepared to work with Spanish speakers right here in the U.S. A minor in Spanish pairs well with any major at Wayne State College. As America becomes more diverse every day, careers in education, business, government, social sciences, agriculture, media, health, counseling, and law enforcement are in high demand of bilingual communicators. Through coursework in the minor, not only will you learn to read, write, and understand the language, you’ll develop cultural competence. This can have a profound effect on your personal growth and serves to enrich the daily interactions you’ll have with others in your personal and professional life.
Required Courses: 21 hours
A minor must include a minimum of 12 hours unduplicated by your major(s) and minor(s).
- SPA 201 Intermediate Spanish I (3)
- SPA 202 Intermediate Spanish II (3)
- SPA 230 Conversation and Composition (3)
- SPA 301 Spanish Civilization or SPA 302 Spanish-American Civilization (3)
- SPA 316 Introduction to Hispanic Literature (3)
Plus 6 hours of electives from the following (with no more than 3 hours from a non-SPA prefix course):
- Any SPA 300-level or higher course(s) (3-6)
- ENG 384 World Literature (3)
- GEO 370 Geography of Latin America (3)
- CNA 467 Intercultural Communication (3)
- CNA 418 Health Communication (3)