Let your musical talent soar by joining musicians of all backgrounds and combining your passions to create new collaborations. The music minor is an excellent option for students who are focused on majoring in a different subject, yet still wish to continue their pursuit and passion for music. In the music minor, you’ll learn from accomplished professors to expand your musical abilities. You’ll explore topics in music theory, conducting, and even music technology, with primary emphasis on lessons in your chosen instrument or voice, and performance.
Required Courses: 21 hours
A minor must include a minimum of 12 hours unduplicated by your major(s) and minor(s).
- MUS 101 Music Theory I (3)
- MUS 208 Fundamentals of Conducting (1)
- MUS 305 Music Technology (1)
- MUS 401 History and Literature of Music I or MUS 401 History and Literature of Music II (3)
- Primary Applied Lessons (one area) 100-level (4)
- Primary Applied Lessons (one area) 300-level (1)
- Class in voice, piano, strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion, or guitar (MUS 150, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 280, 281) (1)
- Ensembles (MUS 140, 141/441, 142/442, 149) (2)
- Music electives (not ensembles) (5)