What to Bring With You
Living with others in a limited space means that not all of your belongings should make the trip.
Some of the basics that shouldn’t be forgotten and that most students bring when they begin college include:
- Appropriate clothing: Remember, the weather ranges from warm and sunny at the beginning of the fall semester to cold, and perhaps snowy, by the end. Bring an umbrella or raincoat for spring and fall rain, and hat and gloves for winter snow.
- For the shower: A robe and slippers or shower shoes (in most cases the shower will be down the hall), towels, washcloths, soap, personal toiletries, and a plastic container or shower caddy to carry your things to the shower.
- For the laundry: Laundry bag or basket, detergent and fabric softener, hangers, an iron and mini-ironing board, needles, thread, and scissors.
- For your desk: Pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, paper, stapler, ruler, scissors, personal computer, calculator, calendar, dictionary, notebooks, binders, stationery, desk lamp.
- For your room: Telephone, small refrigerator (no larger than 5.0 cubic feet), alarm clock, radio, television (must be equipped with a QAM digital tuner to be compatible with digital cable), headphones (if you bring an audio system), salt and pepper shakers, dishes, glasses, mugs, silverware, dishwashing liquid, microwave (1000 watts or smaller), air popcorn popper, coffee pot or hot pot, and floor fan. Cooking in rooms is allowed only with the previously indicated appliances.
- For your bed: Sheets pillowcases, pillow, blankets, and bedspread. Mattresses are 36" x 80”.
Do NOT bring:
- Air conditioners and space heaters
- Alcoholic beverages
- Candles, incense, incense burners (no open flames permitted)
- Cooking appliances with an exposed heating element (no electric grills, toasters, toaster ovens, etc.)
- Fireworks or explosives
- Illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia
- Student-built or purchased loft beds
- Nail picture hangers (no holes in walls are permitted)
- Pets (other than fish)
- Refrigerators over 5.0 cubic feet
Instructions will be sent to your WSC email over the summer on how to secure an authorized loft kit for your respective residence hall.
Order extra-long sheets, designed for our residence hall beds online at Residence Hall Linens.
Refrigerators (5.0 cubic feet or smaller) and microwaves (1000 watts or smaller) are allowed.
Only one refrigerator and one microwave allowed per room.
Televisions must be equipped with QAM Digital Tuner to be compatible with our new digital cable offered in the residence halls.