A major that goes beyond acting, our theater arts program dives deep into the heart of performing. You have a love for the spotlight, and Wayne State can build your foundation and make you a well-rounded performer. Mainstage productions at Wayne State give you the opportunity for acting, directing, costume design, special effects, lighting, and more. You can even be a part of the annual children’s play, which brings approximately 4,000 area schoolchildren for one of several performances. Careers for theater majors are endless. With a degree in theater arts, you’ll be prepared to steal the show on the big screen, or you can use your speaking talents to become an announcer, on-air personality, or even a salesperson. No matter what route you take, you’ll gain skills that are beneficial to any career, such as design, production, management, and even cultural awareness.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 36
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular minors: Speech Communication, Electronic Media, Fashion Merchandising
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Communication Arts
Reputation: Wayne State College has earned a solid reputation for outstanding performing arts programs. Thousands of patrons attend concerts, plays, musicals, and other cultural events each year.
Venues: WSC offers three different venues to work with - Ramsey Theatre, Ley Theatre, and the Black Box Theatre. Ramsey and Ley are theaters for larger audiences, and the Black Box is a small, intimate performance area, with seating for only 70.
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Acting and performance
- Set construction and scene design
- Play directing and stage management
- Creative expression and presentation
- Interpersonal and group communication
- Speech delivery / public speaking
- Persuasion, argumentation, and advocacy
- Communication and leadership
- Critical thinking and reasoning
- Professional standards and ethics
- Project and time management
- Actor or performing artist
- Theatre director
- Stage effects technician
- Stage or set designer
- Stage manager
- Theater critic
- Theatre arts instructor
- Professional speaker
- Business representative
- Theater companies
- Performing arts groups
- Production companies
- Television / film studios
- Media outlets
- Art and design firms
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Community theatres
- Youth camps
- Hospitals and medical clinics
- Businesses and corporations
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Theater productions – From acting to designing to constructing sets, you’ll get hands-on experience through WSC mainstage productions.
- Workshops - Communication and theater arts workshops will give you firsthand experience and help you develop your skills to prepare yourself for a career in these fields.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
While internships are not required for this major, you’ll gain real-world experience in this field through degree requirements of acting and set-building for WSC mainstage productions. If you’d like to complete an internship, Career Services or an academic advisor is available to help you find opportunities.