The office administration degree prepares office technology and office administration students for managerial positions in today’s ever-changing technological and professional business environment. The roles of administrative office managers have expanded to accommodate using not only the latest office technologies, but also the implementation of workplace management and supervision skills. Students will have opportunities for retraining, upgrading existing skills, acquiring new skills, and using up-to-date equipment prevalent in modern business offices. The office administration degree program offers specialized training for students preparing for career opportunities in office management, administrative secretarial work, word and information processing, records management, and human resource management. With appropriate supplemental educational courses and work experience, students enrolled in the office administration concentration will also be prepared for a variety of industry certifications, including Microsoft Office, Certified Records Manager, and Certified Professional Secretary examinations.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S.
For concentration: 48
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
Popular pairings: Spanish
School: Business and Technology
Department: Business and Economics
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Proficiency in software applications used in office settings
- Analysis and technological control of business records
- Business procedures for secretarial or office management positions
- Business management and leadership
- Legal and ethical standards of business
- Principles of business marketing
- Presentation and public speaking
- Oral and written communication
- Organization and time management
- Administrative assistant
- Office administrator
- Office manager
- Records clerk
- Executive assistant
- Legal secretary
- Human resource specialist
- Personal assistant
- Virtual assistant
- Businesses and corporations
- Medical offices
- Law firms
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Government / federal agencies
- Insurance companies
- Banking and financial institutions
- Real estate companies
- Accounting firms
- Non-profit organizations
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Business Competition Day – Show your leadership skills by helping to facilitate and judge this annual competition, where hundreds of students from Nebraska and Iowa high schools compete for a chance to win scholarships.
- Executive in Residence - Meet corporate pros at this annual event and address real-world concerns, including topics such as business ethics, corporate culture, leadership, and the changing world of business.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
We encourage all students to complete an internship before graduating with a degree in office administration. You are not required to complete an internship; however, Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities if you wish to do so.