Plant life exists everywhere, from the driest deserts to the wettest tropics. Vegetation covers the earth, from the finest grasses to the heartiest trees. Plants are grown for food or simply for looks. They can be used to keep soil from eroding. As a plant biologist, you’ll get to study the cellular makeup of plants, discovering uses for them and perhaps even improving their lifespan. Consider majoring in plant biology-ecology and management at Wayne State College. This program is a partnership program between Wayne State College and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. You’ll get a solid foundation in the biological sciences in your first three years at WSC (90 hours), then cap your education with exposure to experts in agronomy at UNL. This program will prepare you for future studies at the masters or doctoral level in the areas of plant molecular, cellular, and physiological biology, as well as careers in ecology, botany, rangeland management, and field biology.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Evolutionary processes
- Biological systems and structures
- Plant science
- Molecular genetics
- General chemistry and physics
- Experimental design and data collection
- Modern lab techniques
- Statistical analysis
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Technical communication
- Field biologist
- Environmental scientist
- Ecosystem manager
- Rangeland manager
- Plant ecologist
- Plant pathologist
- Genetic engineer
- Agricultural manager
- Plant biochemist
- National parks and forests
- Natural resource facilities
- Wildlife preserves
- Government organizations
- Conservation societies
- Plant breeding / seed companies
- Schools, colleges, and universities
- Research facilities
- Food science companies
- Landscaping companies
- Energy or water companies
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, activities, and more.
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career! Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Research, trips, and more – Conduct your own research and present your findings at conferences such as The Wildlife Society, American Society of Microbiology, The American Association for the Advancement of Science, and The North American Prairie Conference.
- Peer tutoring and mentoring programs – Help fellow students master their courses and improve their skills, or be part of a support system for new students, all while gaining valuable experience for your resume.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas
Before graduating with your degree in plant biology-ecology and management, you’ll have a chance to work with local agencies in order to gain some field experience and earn credit toward your degree. Career Services is available to help you find the best internship opportunities.