The world of sports and athletics is made up of not just the teams, but also the event facilities, support staff and trainers, fans, marketing, sports information, ticketing and operations, and media relations. All of these things contribute to success in sports – and need managers to guide such success. With a sport management minor from Wayne State, you’ll be prepared to take on careers involving the planning, decision-making, and execution of sporting events. You’ll explore the ins and outs of the sporting world, including how to build a fan base, and how to manage an event facility. A sport management minor will also prepare you for leadership roles in high school and collegiate athletics. If you have a passion for anything sports-related, a sport management minor might be the right choice for you.
Required Courses: 20 hours
A minor must include a minimum of 12 hours unduplicated by your major(s) and minor(s).
- PED 140 Introduction to Sport Management (must pass with a grade of B or better) (3)
- PED 277 Media Relations in Sport (3)
- *PED 385 Sport Management Practicum (2)
- PED 410 Sport Law (3)
- *PED 411 Sport Marketing and Promotion (3)
- *PED 450 Leadership in Sport Organizations (3)
- *PED 485 Sport in American Culture (3)
*Prerequisite: A minimum 2.75 GPA in your major