Courses for the Reading Specialist online master's program
- Master of Science in Education (MSE) - Curriculum & Instruction-Instructional Leadership/Reading Specialist PK-12
- Reading Specialist PK-12 subject endorsement
Credit hours: 36
This endorsement requires that you have a valid regular teaching certificate and two years of teaching experience. All courses are available online. Students will take a mixture of core education courses, courses for the reading specialist focus area, and electives.
Professional education core: 12 credit hours
- EDU 603 Introduction to Educational Research and Design (3)
- EDU 652 Instructional Theory and Practice (3)
- EDU 658 Fundamentals of Curriculum Dev. PK-16 (3)
- EDU 674 History and Philosophy of Education (3)
Reading specialist PK-12 concentration: 18 credit hours
- EDU 642 Foundations of Literacy (3)
- EDU 647 Instructional Theory and Practice in Literacy (3)
- EDU 648 Advanced Assessment and Interventions in Literacy (3)
- EDU 649 Instructional Leadership in Literacy (3)
- EDU 682 Developing and Integrating Technology in the Classroom (3)
- EDU 698 Practicum (3)
Electives: 6 credit hours
If pursuing the MSE degree program, you'll need to take 6 credit hours of 600+ level courses (as agreed upon by student and advisor). Elective are not otherwise required for the endorsement-only program.
Apply for Admission Request more info
Licensing and Certification: This program is designed to prepare students for licensure or certification in Nebraska. If you plan to pursue licensure or certification in a state other than Nebraska, please check that state's licensing board to determine their licensing requirements. Authorization may be required from them prior to beginning a clinical or field experience in that state. Learn more about State Authorization and Reciprocity.