Meghan teaches Printmaking, Drawing, Digital Imaging, Mixed Media, and Senior Exhibit courses at Wayne State. Before coming to Wayne State College, O'Connor taught at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, TN.
She is a member of Southern Graphics Council International, Foundations in Art: Theory and Education, and the Mid America Print Council. Her work can be found in the collection of Columbia College in Chicago; Gippsland Centre for Art and Design in Australia; Limerick School of Art and Design in Ireland; Proyecto’ace Print Collection in Buenos Aires, and many other universities around the United States. This summer, 2017, she will complete a printmaking residency at the Arquetopia Foundation for Development in Puebla, Mexico. To see more of Meghan's work, visit www.curlymeg88.com.
- 2017 - 10th Norfolk Arts Center Juried Show, 1st Place, Norfolk Art Center, Norfolk, NE
- 2017 - Atlanta Print Biennial, (juried by Sydney Cross), Kai Lin Art, Atlanta, GA
- 2017 - The International Post Card Show, Surface Gallery, Nottingham, UK
- 2016 - Expectations and Examinations, (solo exhibit), Gallery 239, Chadron State College, Chadron, NE
- 2016 - Printwork 2016 (juried by Althea Murphy Price), Artist Image Resource, Pittsburgh, PA
- 2016 - MAPC Members’ Juried Exhibition, juried by Brian Jones, The Carnegie Center for Art & Art History, New Albany, IN
- 2016 - Contemporary American Lithography curated by Andy DeCaen, Konstlitografiska Museet Tidaholm, Tidaholm Sweden
- 2015 - Hometown Heir-archy, (solo exhibit) McMinn County Living Heritage Museum, Athens, TN
- 2015 - Anthology: Visual Narratives from Nashville’s Print Community, The Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville, TN
- 2015 - Southern Graphics Council International Member Exhibition, Emporium Arts Center, Knoxville, TN (travels 3 years nationally, then 3 years internationally)
- 2014 - Forced Prudence, (a Flying Solo Exhibition), Nashville International Airport, TN
- 2014 - Mujeres, Mujeres, Mujeres, Raices Taller 222 Art Gallery, Tucson, AZ
M.F.A., Clemson University, printmaking, Clemson, SC
B.F.A., East Tennessee State University, printmaking and drawing, Johnson City, TN
I am very excited by all printmaking processes, but especially stone lithography! I create tightly drawn animal imagery that is slightly surreal, satirical, and macabre in nature. I counter this controlled drawing practice with a loose exploration of materials: such as cookies, chicken skins, and hair, to create subtle embossments on the page. I combine these disparate forms to explore the relationship between control versus letting go, as well a, evoke empathy toward the human condition itself.
I am passionate about making art as an activity and as a tool to assess our current state of humanity. It is a way to make sense of the world and to connect us across cultures. I help students to explore these connections inside of the classroom with projects that emphasize self-reflection, research, problem-solving, and collaboration. In addition, I stress the exploration of materials, risk-taking, and ways art can engage the community.