From Dr. Vaughn Benson, Dean of the School of Business and Technology
Welcome to the School of Business and Technology at Wayne State College. Our faculty and staff thank you for your interest in our undergraduate and graduate business and economics, computer technology, early childhood, industrial technology, and family and consumer sciences programs of study. We are committed to student success. If you were to take a walk through our halls, you would find a place where faculty, students and staff join together to provide students with cutting edge programs in a community devoted to preparing students with the knowledge, skills, tools and experiences to be successful in the global world around them.
Wayne State College is primarily a teaching institution. We are committed to developing a solid foundation in the program of study, experiential learning with small classes and opportunities for co-op or internship experiences. Our faculty are passionate about teaching and strive to keep their classrooms interesting, current and dynamic with a focus on developing practical applications of theory into practice. Our numerous student organizations provide additional opportunities to develop leadership skills and to practice classroom theory. The School of Business and Technology has more than 900 students enrolled in 31 major and 12 minor undergraduate programs of study, four field/subject teaching endorsements, and graduate programs.
The School of Business and Technology has an excellent reputation with a number of notable strengths, including:
- It is a professional school dedicated to developing professional attitudes, behaviors and skills as well as mastery of content in a variety of disciplines.
- Professional, qualified, dedicated, experienced, caring, award-winning faculty provide a student centered learning environment.
- Small classes, averaging 25 students, give students opportunities to know their teachers and classmates, to receive personal attention and experience hand-on applications.
- The School of Business and Technology is large enough for faculty to specialize in the areas of instruction in which they teach. This enables them to stay more current in their disciplines and to immediately incorporate new instructional theory and concepts into the classroom.
- Full-time faculty members serve as student mentors. The advisor will meet individually with the student to provide help and guidance. The advisor is also available for additional meetings with the student as needed. Students regularly give our advising program an “outstanding” rating.
- The School of Business and Technology utilizes cutting edge technology to provide up-to-date approaches to student learning.
- Wayne State College has strong career services area dedicated to strengthening career planning and job placement. The Career Center oversees cooperative education internship programs, provides job search/resume/interview guidance, and coordinates on and off-campus employment interviews. The School of Business and Technology is the campus leader in promoting cooperative education/Internship experiences for its students.
- An outstanding array of student groups augment the curriculum by providing real-world business tours, hosting guest speakers, excelling at regional and national competitions, participating in national leadership symposiums and making presentations at regional and national conferences.
- Faculty understand the special needs of a working student body and are able to accommodate students without compromising quality.
- A commitment to recognized standards of quality assures students of an up-to-date, marketable education. The programs in the Business and Economics Department are accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).
The School of Business and Technology is in one of the most exciting times in the history of its programs. During the next two years the Center for Applied Technology (CAT) is being built to accommodate the needs of the Industrial Technology program. New state of the art laboratories for Manufacturing, Metal Fabrication, Construction, Safety and Planning and Design will be built. This $15-million project will create an exceptional learning environment for our students.
Whether you are a prospective student, an alumnus, or a friend of Wayne State College, I encourage you to come to campus for a visit so you can experience the enthusiasm first hand. We look forward to meeting you. We believe we are a “perfect fit” for you. Please feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you seek additional information.