Tornado: A violent, highly destructive whirling wind up to 200 mph, accompanied by a funnel shaped cloud that progresses in a narrow path over land and occurs with little or no warning.
Tornado Watch: A message issued by the National Weather Service that weather conditions are favorable for possible formation of tornadoes. When a tornado watch has been issued, the Wayne State College Campus Security Department will be responsible for monitoring statements made by the National Weather Service and any updates.
Tornado Warning: A warning issued by the National Weather Service that a tornado has been sighted in the area. When a tornado warning has been issued, Wayne State College Campus Security Department will be responsible for advising all staff, students and faculty of the current status. Institutions will be notified through Wayne State College’s voice message system or campus address system within the campus buildings or other means. Wayne State College Campus Security will also continue to monitor National Weather Service reports, in addition to the following:
Measures to take in the event of a tornado
The following measures are to be taken if there is a Tornado Warning (or a tornado is sighted in the vicinity):
- If an underground or designated shelter is not available, move to an interior room or hallway on the lowest floor and get beside a sturdy piece of furniture. (This is the TRIANGLE OF LIFE. It requires taking refuge next to large solid objects in case of structural failure; providing best possible space for survival from a building collapse or fire).
- Stay away from windows. Do NOT open windows. Leave the windows alone; instead, immediately go to a safe place.
- Any fire doors in hallways should be closed.
- Get out of automobiles. Do not try to outrun a tornado in your car; instead, leave it immediately. If caught outside or in a vehicle, lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression.
- Remain in the safe area until all danger has passed.
- If the facility is damaged, evacuate after storm passes and stay clear of damaged area. Beware of fallen debris, downed power lines and gas leaks.
- Follow the directives of Emergency Personnel and/ or Wayne State College Campus Security Department.