Natural Gas Odor
Natural gas is an important energy source, but it can be dangerous if not used carefully. In its pure state, natural gas is odorless and colorless. Gas suppliers add a harmless chemical called mercaptan to the gas to help us smell a leak. The odor smells like a rotten egg or a skunk.
Students, faculty, and staff responsibilities:
- Alert others and have everyone leave the area immediately.
- Leave electrical devices alone.
- Never light a match or lighter.
- Never turn lights on or off.
- Never use the telephone, including cell phones..
- From a safe location, call the Wayne State College Campus Security Department by dialing 402-375-7216 from a cellphone, or dial 911 from any campus phone.