In addition to having the region’s most affordable tuition, we offer thousands of dollars in scholarships every year. Learn more about scholarships and financial aid as you pursue the sports media degree program.
About the Sports Media Degree Program
Sports are an ever-expanding, billion-dollar industry, including live broadcasting of events, promotion, news coverage, and play-by-play. If you have an interest in mass communication and sports, this is the perfect pathway for you. You’ll learn sports journalism and broadcasting with hands-on experience. Try out your new skills by covering Wildcat athletics, from broadcasting games to interviewing coaches and players. You’ll get to work in our brand-new stadium press box, complete with a level just for media. Take your passion for sports and broadcasting to the next level with a mass communication and sports media degree.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A. or B.S. in mass communication/sports media
For concentration: 48
General education: 30
To graduate from WSC: 120
School: Arts and Humanities
Department: Communication Arts
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world in the sports media degree program.
- Advanced news reporting and editing
- Interviewing and research
- Legal and ethical standards of journalism
- Multiplatform content creation
- Layout and design for publications
- Critical thinking and problem-solving
- Time management
- Oral and written communication
- Professional standards and ethics
- Sports reporter
- Video technician
- Digital journalist
- Sports news analyst
- Freelance writer
- Editorial writer
- Digital content specialist
- Newspapers and magazines
- Publishing companies
- TV networks
- Media companies
- Radio stations
- Public relations firms
- Advertising agencies
- Marketing firms
- Government agencies
- Non-profit organizations
- Businesses and corporations
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished professionals that have been recognized as experts in their fields. With a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in the sports media degree program.
Liz Viall, Ph.D.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education in the sports media degree program by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Sports media workshops will give you abundant firsthand experience in a wide range of multimedia content throughout your college career. You’ll build your portfolio to prepare for a career in media. You’ll take on a variety of responsibilities in serving as management and staff of KWSC-FM and KWSC-TV on and off campus.
- Broadcasting Wildcat Athletics - Practice your skills by covering Wildcat athletics, from broadcasting games to interviewing coaches and players.
- Trips and conferences - You’ll get the chance to attend the National Student Electronic Media Convention and Nebraska Collegiate Media Association meetings. The WSC Media Club and students from KWSC-FM and KWSC Studios travel to Omaha, Neb., Lincoln, Neb., Norfolk, Neb., Sioux City, Iowa, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Kan., and Denver – all markets for station and media business tours.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
Internships at radio and TV stations, or through other communication organizations, are available. Recent internships have been at KTCH-AM/FM, US92, 106 KIX, KKLN TV, Outdoorsman Productions, The Golf Channel, and KETV-Omaha. Your academic advisor and the Career Services department can help you find internship opportunities.