E-commerce drives a large part of the world economy – online retail, online business/consumer services, e-government, education, telemedicine, logistics, digital delivery, content streaming, and other sectors. The programming skills and computing theories you learn at Wayne State College will prepare you well for a career in this field. You will learn principles and concepts of computing along with organizational and business concepts. You’ll gain practical skills in the areas of computer programming, introductory networking, systems development, computer hardware, operating systems, and databases. You’ll be able to work independently, as well as in groups across a range of diverse situations. When you graduate with an applied e-commerce degree, you’ll be ready for a career in not only online retailing, but any career that relies heavily on computer savvy.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Internet and web technology for e-commerce
- Introductory web and graphic design
- Principles of marketing
- Networking concepts and technologies
- Analysis and design of computer information systems
- Database design and development using SQL
- Computer programming
- Business management and leadership
- Legal environment of business
- Time management and organization
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- E-commerce specialist
- Product manager
- Internet marketer
- Advertising manager
- Online security specialist
- Online store owner
- Information systems specialist
- Project manager
- Social media manager
- Market researcher
- Marketing / advertising firms
- Online retail stores
- Data warehouse firms
- Consulting companies
- Production companies
- Technical support centers
- Businesses and corporations
- Web development companies
- Government offices
- Non-profit organizations
Learn From the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 86% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you'll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Competitions, trips, and more – Show your skills and compete for awards at robotics and programming competitions, attend guest speaker events, and tour professional IT facilities to learn more about your field and meet pros in the industry.
- Community events – Conduct workshops to help teach computing topics to local senior citizen groups, help promote the technology recycling program, serve as a judge for the Web Wizardry Competition, and even present at local schools for technology career days.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
As part of your studies, you’ll complete a project for a “real-world” business to earn credit toward your degree in e-commerce. We also frequently employ students in our Network and Technology Services Department to give you additional field experience. Career Services is available to help you find internship and employment opportunities as well.