- View all help sheets
Help by technology
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Campus Cable TV
- Campus Telephone
- Cat Card
- File Storage
- Game Rooms
- Get Connected (Internet)
- Make Me Admin
- Multifactor Authentication (Duo)
- myEportfolio (Chalk & Wire)
- Office 365
- Online Student Resources
- Outlook Email
- PaperCut (Printing)
- Rave (Campus Text Alerts)
- Room Schedule Displays
- SANS Security Training
- Valt (Classroom Video Recording)
- WSC Password
- Zoom (Video Conferencing)
Can't find what you're looking for in our help sheets?
Make Me Admin
As we review our IT security profile for campus, one of the recommendations from auditors and analysts is to not have accounts running in administrator mode on campus computers. Best practice is to run as a ‘normal’ user and only become an administrator when needed to install software. We found a solution that gives all of you the ability to install software in Admin mode temporarily and lets you run as a ‘normal’ user the rest of the time.
How to use Make Me Admin on Campus Windows computers:
1. Launch Make Me Admin from the Start menu. Select the Start menu, scroll down and click Make Me Admin from the list of Apps.
2. When the application launches, it will determine whether you already have administrator rights. If you do not, the Grant Me Administrator Rights button will be enabled. If you do already have administrator rights, the button will be disabled, and the Remove my Admin Rights button will be enabled.
3. Click the Grant Me Administrator Rights button. The application will attempt to add you to the Administrators group on your computer. If this process is successful, the application window will disappear, and a new icon will be added to the notification area on the taskbar, near the date and time. A popup message will appear for a few seconds, indicating that you have been added as a Member to the Administrators group.
Note: This icon will remain in the notification area as long as your administrator rights are active.
4. It is at this point that you should perform the task(s) that require administrator privileges: changing computer settings, installing or updating software, etc.
Note: You do not need to log off and on of your device in order for your administrator rights to take effect.
Note: If you receive a prompt from User Account Control to log in, simply enter your current WSC user name and password.
5. You have 10 minutes as an Administrator to change your device settings, install or update a program, etc. After the 10 minutes, Make Me Admin will display one final popup message stating you are no longer a member of the Administrators group, and then close completely.
Note: You only need Administrator rights to start an install or update a program. Your install or update will continue to run even after you have been removed from the Administrator group.
6. Repeat Steps 1-5 as needed to change computer settings or install or update software.
If you need further assistance please contact the Campus Service Center at 402-375-7107, email@example.com, or by visiting us on the first floor in the library.