Wayne State College

Identification Card (CAT Card)



 A Campus Identification card (CAT card) is needed for accessing campus facilities, services, and activities.

Things to know about your CAT Card:

  • Do NOT punch a hole in your Cat Card. The Cat Card has a chip embedded inside the card. A punched hole may damage these and render the card ineffective.  
  • Do NOT put your Cat Card on the back of your phone. The Cat Card has a chip embedded inside the card. Placing your card on your phone can damage the card.  

New Students

The initial cost of the CAT Card for new students is included in the mandatory student fees. New students will have their photo taken for their ID during New Student Registration in the summer.  All students who attend New Student Registration will be able to take their new CAT Card home, just remember to bring it when you move to campus in August! If you did not attend New Student Registration, you can visit the Campus Service Center to get your picture taken, or submit a photo online, and the Service Center will coordinate getting the CAT Card to you.


New Employees

New employees are issued a CAT card as part of the employee onboarding process with no initial cost. 


The CAT Card is used to:

  • Pick up a refund check or pay a bill on campus
  • Food Service meal plan access (Kanter Student Center and US Conn Library)
  • Library Services; check out books and other materials
  • Electronic door access system for residence halls and select academic buildings  
  • PaperCut-enabled Sharp copiers for printing and copying
  • PaperCut-enabled HP printers in the residence halls
  • Recreation Center admission and equipment check-out
  • Mobile device power-charging stations (Rec Center, library, and Student Center)
  • Ticketed Athletic Events
  • Ticketed Performing Arts Events

A $25 replacement card fee applies to:

  • Card is lost or stolen
  • Card is intentionally damaged
  • New picture is requested


There is no fee for:

  • Name changes
  • Card is unintentionally damaged or stops working


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my Cat Card is lost, stolen, or damaged?

Lost or stolen cards should be disabled immediately! Call Campus Security at 402-375-7216 and ask them to temporarily disable your card. Temporarily disabling your card prevents anyone else from using it. If you find your card again, call them back to re-enable your card. If you don't find your card, stop by the WSC Service Center in the Library to obtain a new card. There will be a fee to print a replacement card. 

If your card is damaged, stop by the Service Center in the Library to obtain a new card. Damaged or worn cards will be replaced without a fee, but you must bring your card with you. If damage to the card is intentional (i.e. you punched a hole in it and it no longer works), there will be a fee to reprint the card.


When does this card become active?

It takes roughly 30 minutes from the time a new Cat Card is printed to inform all of the systems which use the Cat Card.    


Can I punch a hole through the card to attach it to my keys?

No. The Cat Card has a chip and antenna imbedded inside the card. A punched hole may damage these and render the card ineffective. There will be a fee to reprint your Cat Card.


Will my residence hall room door lock be electronic?

Not at this time. WSC may, at some point, move in that direction, but the goal of the initial project was to enhance building security without incurring substantial costs to students.


Can I have a new photo taken?

Please stop by the Service Center in the Library to have your photo refreshed and a new Cat Card printed. You’ll need to bring your old Cat Card with you and there will be a fee to reprint the card.


What if my name changes?

Please send an encrypted email with your name change(s) and provide a copy of your driver’s license to Records and Registration and stop by the Campus Service Center in the Library to have a new card printed. There is no fee for name changes.


Why does it take two seconds for a card reader to respond?

Smart cards do a security handshake with the card readers to encrypt your data as it is passed from the card to the reader. This does take a moment to do, but it is an essential part of keeping the system secure.


What do I do if my Cat Card isn’t working?

Contact the Campus Service Center at 402-375-7107 or stop by and visit us in the Library and bring your Cat Card with you.   

What if I’m an online student or I’m away student teaching – how do I get my Cat Card?

If you’ve been on campus and had your photo taken already, simply send an e-mail to [email protected] from your WSC student e-mail address and provide a postal address to mail your card to. The address must be one of your addresses on file in WildcatsOnline.

If you’ve not been on campus, and haven’t had your photo taken, you can upload a photo through the Cat Card Portal on myWSC


Browse help sheets within Cat Card