You understand the business world, and you want to pass that knowledge on to the next generation of students. With the basic business subject endorsement, you’ll be prepared to teach grades 6-12. You’ll be ready to teach courses such as accounting, business communication, business law, economics, personal finance, and marketing, as well as computer applications.
Percent of recent WSC graduates employed or in graduate school
based on the most recent graduate survey
Degrees offered: B.A., B.S. (Subject Endorsement)
If choosing the basic business subject endorsement, you will also need to select a field endorsement or a second subject endorsement to receive your B.A. or B.S.
For endorsement: 36
For professional education: 27-33
General education: 41
To graduate from WSC: 120 hours minimum (education programs may require more)
Our Focus is Results
Wayne State has the keys to your success and offers just what you need to become well prepared for the real world.
- Foundation of human resource management
- Principles of marketing
- Office systems and technology
- Information management and processing
- Business communications
- Personal finance
- Teaching and instruction
- Classroom management and leadership
- Presentation and public speaking
- Oral and written communication
- Critical thinking
- Planning and coordinating
- Professional code of conduct
- Business teacher
- Academic advisor
- Vocational instructor
- Business manager
- Educational administrator
- Corporate trainer
- Teaching assistant
- Office manager
- Human resource specialist
- Insurance agent
- Business consultant
- Job development specialist
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Vocational schools
- Colleges / universities
- Business offices
- Non-profit organizations
- Accounting firms
- Government offices
- Banks and financial institutions
- Marketing firms
- Retail stores
Learn from the Best
Our faculty are accomplished, with 85% of our full-time faculty having the highest degree in their field. Several are highly regarded as experts and have been recognized with notable honors and awards. And with a low student-to-faculty ratio, you’ll be sure to receive an excellent education in a personalized setting with a friendly atmosphere.
Outside the Classroom
At Wayne State College, you’ll have opportunities to enhance your education by participating in clubs, organizations, events, internships, and more.
Clubs and Organizations
- Sigma Beta Delta
- Delta Sigma Pi (collegiate business organization)
- Phi Beta Lambda (collegiate business organization)
- Pi Omega Pi (national business education honorary)
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Wayne Student Education Association of Nebraska (WSEAN)
- Student Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC)
- Kappa Delta Pi (International Honor Society)
Make a difference in the community while learning skills you can apply toward your future career. Wayne State’s Service-Learning program has received national awards in recognition of outstanding community service, with more than 400 students participating in Service-Learning projects each semester.
- Northeast Nebraska Teachers Academy (NENTA) - Develop your classroom skills and get paid at the same time.
- Business Competition Day – Show your leadership skills by helping to facilitate and judge this annual competition, where hundreds of students from Nebraska and Iowa high schools compete for a chance to win scholarships.
- Executive in Residence - Meet corporate pros at this annual event and address real-world concerns, including topics such as business ethics, corporate culture, leadership, and the changing world of business.
- Study Abroad - Earn credit toward your degree while experiencing exciting global adventures overseas.
As a business education major, you will complete a semester of clinical practice in a school district chosen with the help of your advisor. During this semester, you’ll work closely with an experienced teacher to gain classroom experience. Internships are not required as part of this program; however, Career Services is available to help students find employment opportunities.