LINCOLN (AP) - Twelve colleges and universities said Monday thatt they have formed a Nebraska affiliate of Camous Compact, joining more than 1,100 U.S. educational institutions that have committed to promoting community service and civic engagement as important aspects of academic life.
-The University of Nebraska-Lincoln will serve as the institutional host for the Nebraska Campus Compact. A council composed of the camus CEO of each member institution governs the group. UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman is chariman of the council.
- To join the compact, instututions must pay a annual fee, national dues and a membership fee based on the school's fulltime equivalent enrollment of both graduate and undergraduate students.
- The hope is that membership will allow participating schools to bring in more funds for community service projects through grants and endowments, said Juan Franco, UNL's vice chancellor for student affairs and interim executive director of the Nebraska Campus Compact.
- The state compacts first project will be with AmiriCorps. Thirty-six students from the 12 institutions will work either in after-school projects for at-risk youths or participate in Volunteer Income Tax Assistance programs inlocal communities in exchange for stipends.
- Other members of Nebraska Campus Compact are College of St. Mary, Doane College, Hastings College, Nebraska Weselyn University, Peru State College, University of Nebraska at Kearney, University of Nebraska at Omaha, Wayne State College and Western Nebraska Community College.
- Nebraska is the 35th state to form an affiliate to Campus Compact, whose member colleges and universities represent about 6 million students. Iowaformed an affiliate in 2003.
October 3, 2014
Historical Photo Restoration Exhibit on Friday Oct. 3 from 3:30-5:30 in Peterson Fine Arts Building.
October 4, 2014
Homecoming reception where you can re-connect with Service-Learning profs. and friends on Saturday afternoon from 3:30-5:30 in Peterson Fine Arts Building.
Wayne State College was named in the 2013 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll!!