In meeting the mission of the School and providing quality educational experiences for our students a good infrastructure is required. The 1000 students and nearly fifty full-time faculty of the school work in three large buildings that provide modern technology-based classroom and laboratory facilities, as well as good office and conference space:
The Department of Life Sciences and the Department
of Physical Sciences and Mathematics are housed in
Carhart Science. It was opened in 1969 and has four
full floors. Besides separate biology, chemistry,
earth science, and physics lab facilities and offices
for 20 faculty and staff, it contains a computer lab,
three modern technology-based teaching classrooms,
a library and conference room, a planetarium, and
the A. Jewell Schock Museum
of Natural History.
The Department of History, Politics, and Geography and the Department of Sociology, Psychology, and Criminal Justice are housed in Connell Hall. Originally built in 1923, it was completely renovated in 1999-2000 and has three floors. In addition to classrooms and offices for 25 faculty and staff, it contains a 60-seat tiered, conference-style classroom, three distance-learning classrooms, one large computer lab, five modern technology-based teaching classrooms, a dedicated GIS lab, and a social-sciences research suite and library.
For a more complete history of Connell Hall and features of the building, click here
The Department of Health, Human Performance, and Sport is housed in Rice Auditorium, as are a number of athletic functions. It opened in 1958. In addition to classrooms and offices for 10 faculty and staff, it contains a computer lab, Human Performance lab, technology-based classrooms, a large conference room, and sport facilities.