To be eligible for application to the RHOP program:
- Be a rural Nebraska resident (Omaha and Lincoln areas are excluded)
- Have applied and been accepted to Wayne State College
- You may apply for only one professional field at only either Wayne State College (WSC), Chadron State College (CSC), or University of Nebraska - Kearney (UNK)
- Demonstrate strong academic potential
- All materials must be received by WSC, no later than November 15 for application consideration for the following academic year
We are looking for well-rounded students who are dedicated to the health profession and have demonstrated commitment to the rural areas of Nebraska and who are willing to work hard and have demonstrated they have the intellectual ability to complete the rigorous academic programs of the health professions at WSC and UNMC.
Numerous factors are always a part of the selection process; however, special emphasis is placed on:
- The academic potential of the student as demonstrated by:
- Letters of Recommendation
- ACT/SAT scores
- A commitment to return to the rural areas of Nebraska to practice their profession including:
- Knowledge of the profession
- Community service and leadership activities
- Knowledge of RHOP program
- Academic preparation: Students are strongly encouraged to have completed or plan to complete the following core courses (if possible) to demonstrate their academic preparation:
- Three years of Math
- Four years of English
- One year each of Biology, Chemistry and Physics
- A biography stating why the student wants to be in RHOP, as this becomes the foundation for the interview/selection process.
Once accepted into the RHOP program successful completion of the Wayne State College portion of the program includes the following:
- All pre-requisite courses must be taken at WSC.
- Once accepted through RHOP, if you decide to pursue a different health profession, you will lose your RHOP status.
- To maintain status in the program a standard of grades applies both to program specific and general academic courses.
- Alternates may also chosen in the event that students with guaranteed positions do not successfully complete their studies at WSC; however, while an RHOP candidate has alternate status they do not receive guaranteed admission or a tuition waiver.