Fire Protection System Impairment Procedures
DOWNLOAD Impairment Notification Form
A protection impairment occurs when a fire (or explosion) prevention, protection, alarm or supervisory system is shut off, impaired or otherwise taken out of service completely or in part. Impaired fire protection systems may include:
- Fire alarm systems
- Detection Systems
- Special Suppression Systems (CO2, Clean Agent, Dry Chemical, Water spray)
- Automatic Sprinkler Systems
- Standpipe and hose systems
- Fire Pumps and water storage tanks
- Underground piping and control valves
Two examples of protection impairments are: a sprinkler system that has been shut off in order to replace a sprinkler head, and a valve supervisory device that is jammed and cannot function. Impairments may be planned (shutting off the sprinkler system to install additional sprinkler heads), or emergency (shutting off the sprinkler system to replace a sprinkler head that has been hit by a forklift).
While planned protection impairments may be necessary during maintenance, renovation and new construction, it must be understood that when any protection impairment occurs, the facility is in jeopardy. Many large losses might have remained small if the protection impairments had been properly managed. When an impairment is planned or occurs accidentally, precautionary measures are necessary to minimize the risk.
We want to be informed of impairments as soon as they occur, or as far in advance as possible, so that we may be in a better position to assist you. Our mutual interest is to reduce the chance of a large loss, and we stand ready to assist in every possible way.
Follow these procedures whenever fire protection systems are impaired:
FOR ALL EMERGENCY IMPAIRMENTS, FOR PLANNED IMPAIRMENTS OF MORE THAN EIGHT HOURS IN DURATION, FOR PLANNED IMPAIRMENTS OF TWO OR MORE SYSTEMS, OR FOR ANY IMPAIRMENT OF THE WATER SUPPLY:
- Telephone our office toll-free. Announce that it is a fire protection system impairment. Be prepared to discuss the circumstances and your plans regarding the impairment.
- Impairment Line: (866) 247-2942
- Notify the proper personnel-WSC Authorizers-Project Coordinator, Department Manager, Director
- Fire Department: Notification of the public fire department will allow them to adjust any prefire planning if necessary.
- Alarm Company: Notification of the alarm will limit any false alarms to the fire department.
- Proper Facility Personnel: Alert the plant emergency organization or personnel, so that necessary preplanning can take place. Select, delegate, and instruct a responsible person to reopen valves or enable systems in case of fire.
- Discontinue hazardous operations-Person performing the impairment work is responsible
- Hot work
- Handling of Flammable liquids
- Outside contractors
- Increase Private Protection- Person performing the impairment work is responsible
- Establish an hourly fire watch
- Obtain additional fire extinguishers
- Charge fire hoses
- Red Tag: Fasten the top portion of the Telgian Red Tag (“Fire Protection Out of Service) to the impaired system “Alarm”; fasten the middle portion of the red tag to the fire department connection; WSC Authorizer need to make sure the system has been activated when the impairment is over. Utilize the WSC Fire Watch guidelines.
- Expedite Work, in order to restore all impaired systems as quickly as possible. Do not leave protection out of service any longer than necessary
- Most fire protection and alarm companies have a 3-hr maximum response time to emergency service calls. In addition, Telgian staff may be able obtain quicker service.
- Upon Work completion-Person performing the impairment work is responsible:
- Return fire protection systems to service
- Open and lock sprinkler system and water supply control valves, and perform main drain tests
- Confirm that all components of other fire protection systems are operational
- Secure all fire protection control and alarm panels
- Remove and account for all red tags, return to WSC Authorizer to file top tag.
- Verify that all alarms are in service
- Notify Telgian, Fire Department, and Alarm Company of fire protection restoration
FOR PLANNED IMPAIRMENTS OF LESS THAN EIGHT HOURS IN DURATION, AND NO MORE THAN ONE IMPAIRED SYSTEM:
1. Complete the IMPAIRMENT FAX NOTIFICATION FORM, and fax it to (866) 372-3979.
Email all impairment information to firstname.lastname@example.org; or email@example.com
2. Follow the above steps 2 through 7
REMEMBER, KEEP US INFORMED. Our mutual interest is to reduce the chance of a large loss, and we stand ready to assist in every possible way.
Copies of procedures are in packets located in Carpenter/Dorm shop, Engineer shop, Energy Plant, Electrical shop, Construction Coordinator office. Also at G:\Facility_Services\All_Staff_Documents\Department Policies