Wayne State College
Student Center, Rm. 103
1111 Main St.
Wayne, NE 68787
Coalition > Meeting Minutes >
May 5, 2004
Toward Responsible Use of Substances Today (TRUST) Coalition
May 5, 2004 at 3:00 p.m., Goldenrod Room
Present: Dan Baddorf, Lin Brummels, Karen Granberg,
Jason Mrsny, Kathy Mohlfeld, Troy Reynolds, Mitch Shemek,
Bill Triick, Ron Vick, Anne Willis, Keith Willis
Providence Medical Center initiative to educate local schools
about dangers of drinking and driving, riding with a driver
who has been drinking, and not wearing a seatbelt when in
a vehicle; Emergency Nurses CARE (EN CARE) slide show personalized
by stories of PMC staff and community members; fifth presentation
was at Randolph High School; sixth was at Bloomfield High
School this morning and the seventh presentation will be
at Winside High School on May 7th.
Responsible Hospitality panel discussion report:
- The workshop was Wednesday, April 28th. Presentations
were given about the Responsible Hospitality Council
(RHC) and NU Directions program in Lincoln.
- Goal: Offer local retailers proven practices that
will reduce alcohol-related problems while promoting
a profitable business. Twenty people attended the
workshop and none were retailers.
- The campus presentations were videotaped and can
be checked out from the Counseling Center.
- The "Wayne Stater" promoted the event
that same day, see attached.
- The "Norfolk Daily News" covered the event
and it was on the second page the next day. See attachment.
- "The Wayne Herald" also covered the event
and it might be in this weeks' edition.
- The speakers emphasized that the students need to
be listened to get their involvement (Safe Ride Program).
- Ideas Discussed:
- Alcohol Skills Training Program (ASTP): Kathy
will be attending a workshop on this program in
- E-chug on-line program-looked at UN-L's example.
Mitch will look for more information on the program.
- 21st Birthday Card (SADD has been doing this
for several years)-discussed SADD's experience.
Kathy will get information about UN-L's card sent
- Downtown walk with administrator's and city
- Reinvite to join the coalition: retailers and
distributors, city officials, area high school
administrators, Greek Council Advisor. Neighborhood
Relations committee will lead the effort to get
- Asking student organizations again to designate
a member to attend coalition meetings (Student
Senate, GAMMA, PEN, SADD, etc.) SAAC already sends
representatives regularly. Anne will talk with
the Student Senate about assigning a student senator
to attend. Karen will send a letter to student
organizations in the fall inviting them to do
- We will begin having meetings downtown and
consider having a social hour to follow the business
Ron Vick, MA, LPC
Counselor / Academic Advisor
Int'l Student Advisor