Wayne State College
Student Center, Rm. 103
1111 Main St.
Wayne, NE 68787
Coalition > Meeting Minutes >
November 5, 2003
Toward Responsible Use of Substances Today (TRUST)
November 5, 2003 at 2:30 p.m., Meadowlark Room
- Members present: Lin Brummels, Karen Granberg, Heather
Hein, Cynthia Hruby, Jason Karsky, Nicole McCoy, Kathy
Mohlfeld, Jason Mrsny, Troy Reynolds, Keith Willis
- The National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Fatal
Vision Goggles demonstration was held at the October
18th football game. SADD set up the shoe display representing
the 117 deaths in Nebraska in 2002 as a result of
an alcohol related traffic crash. SADD and Dan Baddorf
manned the table so that spectators could try out
the goggles and walk the line. The SAAC did the obstacle
course. Todd Barry helped set up and directed the
athletes on the obstacle course. Thanks to Scott Gannon
for announcing the event (during the WHS girls state
softball championship game).
- Press coverage attached promoting the event.
"The Stater" put the story on the front
page. The campus cable station will be broadcasting
an interview with Kathy about the TRUST Coalition
- Updates from Workgroups/Committees
- Education & Information Report: Next time
to meet: 12-4-03; Goldenrod Room
- WSC student social norms flyer: Curt Frye
will print 1000 copies out of his budget (500
for current use and 500 for Freshmen Orientation).
- Information from the social norms survey
last spring might be included in the Peer
Drama Skits next fall.
- Neighborhood Relations Report: Next meeting:
11/19/03 @ 3:00 p.m. in the Counseling Center
- Three NU Directions speakers for next semester
(February?) plan to talk about how they started
their Responsible Hospitality Council (RHC).
- Linda Major, NU Directions Director, will
talk about prevention
- Bob Jergens (P.O. Pears), RHC President,
will talk about retail businesses and licensing
- Captain Joy Cita, Lincoln Police, will talk
about associated law enforcement.
- Their goal was voluntary compliance and
they focused on education, enforcement and
- Kathy will meet with the President and College
Relations to see if they could fund a dinner
for the speakers. It was suggested that student
groups set up a Mocktails Bar and use it as
a fund-raising opportunity.
- Troy will talk to Bill Triick of the Chamber
of Commerce about the speakers and invite
him to the next coalition meeting.
- Future training opportunity: NU Directions
is working on statewide initiative workshops.
They are talking with the Higher Education
Council and Nebraska Health & Human Services
about partnering for this training.
- Policy & Enforcement Report:
- Safe Ride Program proposal: $7,000.00 has
been requested of the President's Office to
fund the program. The rest of the funding
could come from student fees ($4.00 an academic
- Social Environment Report:
- Flyers being distributed twice a month.
An example was shown in the meeting. It is
distributed to the academic buildings only
at this time.
- Next Meeting: Wednesday, December 3, 2003
in the Meadowlark Room
Please contact Kathy Mohlfeld at the Counseling Center
at 375-7321 if you have any suggestions or concerns for
the TRUST Coalition.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world."
Ron Vick, MA, LPC
Counselor / Academic Advisor
Int'l Student Advisor