Wayne State College
Student Center, Rm. 103
1111 Main St.
Wayne, NE 68787
Coalition > Meeting Minutes >
April 17, 2003
Toward Responsible Use of Substances Today
April 17, 2003 at 3:30 p.m., Cottonwood Room
Present: Lin Brummels, Curt Frye, Karen Granberg, Heather
Kathy Mohlfeld, Jason Mrsny, and Ron Vick, Sr.
Discussed Stater article on binge drinking
and advertisements. The very small student study (N=30)
claimed that ads dont lead to binge drinking.
Yellow Dress Program
- 3/20/03-Forty people attended the performance and it
was covered in the Stater
- The Yellow Dress was funded in part or in
full by the Nebraska Child Abuse Prevention Fund Board,
WSC Counseling Center, Catholic Newman Center, Notre Dame
Sisters of Omaha, and Haven House.
Be Responsible About Drinking (BRAD) Program
- 3/21/03- 65 people attended the performance and it
was also reported on in the Stater. Wallet
cards were distributed at the program describing what
action to take if a person is suspected to experiencing
- Funded by: NCAA, SAB, Counseling Center, Athletic Department
and Student Health.
Informational/contact flyer for TRUST Coalition - Vic
Reynolds Graphic Design II class project. We discussed
the selections and voted. We decided to combine two different
designs. Kathy will follow-up with Reynolds.
Updates from Workgroups/Committees
- Policy & Enforcement Report:
- Safe Ride Program: Committee is working on dispelling
myths in the community about the purpose of the shuttle.
The purpose is to reduce drunk driving by providing
a safe ride home. The intent of the service is NOT
to enable irresponsible drinking.
- Neighborhood Relations Report: The next meeting is
5/6/3 at 4:00 p.m. in the Bluestem Room.
- Planning to do door tags for Residence Hall rooms
and 1027 homes in the Wayne community. Target times
are the weekend before class starts and then several
weeks after that with the door tag containing legal
information. Cost estimate is $200.00. We will contact
student groups to help distribute the door tags.
- Planning for training with the bar owners is on
hold for the time being.
- Education & Information Report: next meeting 5/1/03
at 8:15 a.m., Bluestem Room
- Collected about 540 surveys and plan to begin the
recording data process soon to see what social norms
emerge at WSC.
- Social Environment Report:
- Flyer is done and looks fabulous! 2500 copies were
made and will be distributed at Freshman Orientation
and around campus.
Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America (CADCA) free
training and technical assistance available, check out http://www.cadca.org/CoalitionInstitute/GreenhouseProgram/index.htm
- Five volunteers are needed to commit to 12 days of training
(16 total days including travel) in Miami, Seattle and
New Orleans by application deadline of May 1st, 2003.
The next meeting will be in September 2003.
Please contact Kathy Mohlfeld at 375-7321 or email@example.com
if you have any suggestions, questions, or concerns for
the TRUST Coalition.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed
citizens can change the world." Margaret
Ron Vick, MA, LPC
Counselor / Academic Advisor
Int'l Student Advisor