Question and Answer Sheet





What makes the program and delivery model unique? 

The Masters of Science in Education (MSE): Curriculum & Instruction-Instructional Leadership is delivered through the community of learning model.

Classes meet one (1) weekend a month – five (5) times a semester.
Weekend classes are interactive and involve small and  large group processes and activities.
Readings, writings, and discussions are based on cutting edge theory and practice and support the learning of PK-16 students and staff.
Participants support one another through face to face and online discussions throughout the two years.
Summers are spent completing advisor approved electives to fulfill a program of study and preparing  literature reviews to compliment classroom research and application.
Sites are facilitated by a team who organizes and conducts the program while serving in an advisor/facilitator relationship.
Course work integrates the graduate program outcomes and the National Board of Teaching Standards (NBTS).
Program concepts are integrated throughout the two years.



What is the typical composition of an off-site program?  

The composition of the diverse community consists of a minimum of 20 students to as many as 55.  Educators representing PK-16 disciplines, as well as professionals in related fields, make up the communities.  The people attending value personal and professional learning and growth; respect their profession; and thrive on the opportunity to learn with others—linking the best of the affective and cognitive worlds.



Do I have to be a practicing teacher to be part of the degree program? 

 The program is designed for licensed, practicing teachers and others who work in educational settings.  You need an educational environment to apply your learning.  Example: as the learning community explores a topic of authentic assessment, you will need a place to apply your learning in your work setting and gather evidence of learning and improvement.  In some cases this can be done in the role of a parent educator, an early childhood educator, a post-secondary instructor, or a curriculum and instruction/staff developer.  Part-time and substitute teachers are also encouraged to participate in the program.  You simply need to collaborate with a classroom teacher who might be a community learning colleague or someone in a school near where you live or work.



How do I apply for the program?

Admission to graduate study requires the following steps:

  1. File an application for admissions with the WSC Admissions Office.  Be sure to check or write "Community of Learning on the application" and write in desired location.

  2. Request official transcripts for all previous college course work be sent directly to the Office of Admissions, Wayne State College, 1111 Main Street, Wayne, NE 68787.  To be official, the transcripts must be original, have the official seal of the institution(s) and the degree statement, and must be sent directly to WSC (transcripts must NOT pass through the student's hands.)  WSC transcripts do not need to be requested.

  3. Candidates are required to list the names and phone numbers of three references on the Graduate Degree Reference form.

  4. Send an application letter to the Dean of the School of Education and Counseling.

  5. Have two reference forms sent to the Dean of the School of Education and Counseling.                            
  6. Submit a writing sample to the School of Education and Counseling.  The sample should be an academic essay of five or more pages on a topic of your choice.

Note:  There is a $15 matriculation fee charge for new students, which will appear on their first account statement.



Admission to the Degree Program:
In addition to the admission and registration procedures, which apply to all graduate programs, each applicant must:

  1. possess a valid teaching certificate;
  2. have an overall minimum GPA of 2.75 in the undergraduate degree and/or a GPA of 3.0 in the first 9 hours of the instructional leadership program;
  3. maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on all graduate work.
  4. graduate from a regionally accredited college/university.
  5. complete an interview conducted during the second semester.
  6. complete a research project evidenced in a graduate file paper.
  7. submit portfolios used to validate professional growth for each semester.    

The portfolios, research project and graduate file paper address, but not limited to the following criteria: (a) demonstrates knowledge of research skills, (b) demonstrates depth of thought, organization and competence in the discipline, and (c) demonstrates inquiry and communication proficiency at the graduate level.



How will your transcript look?

Your transcript will include 36 credit hours required for the program. The transcript degree statement will be posted as an MSE: Curriculum & Instruction-Instructional Leadership. The required courses for the program include:

Required Courses


EDU 603 Introduction to Graduate Studies & Research
EDU 626 Advanced Educational Psychology
EDU 627 Current Issues and Trends in Education

EDU 651 Classroom Assessment

EDU 652 Instructional Theory and Practice
EDU 656 School Law:  Operational Aspects & Cases
EDU 658 Fund of Curriculum Development PK-16
EDU 674 History and Philosophy of Education

EDU 693 Final Research
SPD 611 Org/Admin of Special Education

Electives (pre-approved by Director of Graduate Studies













TOTAL = 36 credits


Each semester the Office of Continuing Education will automatically register   

you for a predetermined set of courses.





What happens if I can not make part or all of a weekend session?

The attendance expectation is 100%.  Adult students may have life circumstances that result in missing parts of the weekend sessions. Absence must be worked out with the community of learning and your facilitators.  Keep in mind that missing a weekend session is like missing 15 to 20 hours of an on-campus program—a significant loss of learning time and something that carries consequences and is not to be taken lightly.  When someone is absent not only is that person unable to receive and take part in the learning but the rest of the community is unable to tap into his or her expertise and to expand the learning. You need to maintain the highest of expectations for your learning.  Participating in the learning experiences is part of those expectations.  A plan of action needs to be designed, approved and implemented to address the hours not in attendance.


Can someone join the program after the first weekend?

We understand some individuals may want to join after the first weekend if a colleague should return to school and invite others to get involved with the Instructional Leadership program. For this reason, no new enrollments will be accepted after the second weekend. If someone wants to joins the second weekend he or she will need to complete the Admissions form and other paperwork prior to the second weekend and be responsible for assignments from the first weekend.


How long do I have to complete the MSE?

Officially you have seven (7) years from the date you begin the program to complete it. Candidates will almost always complete their work in two years.  If you need an extension of more than one semester to complete the program of study, you will have to make special arrangements with your facilitators and the Graduate Office—this circumstance should be rare.


What happens if I have to drop out of the program?

You would need to notify your facilitators, the School of Education & Counseling Office, and the Continuing Education Office.


What is the cost of the program?

There is a one-time $15 matriculation fee.  Currently for the Spring 2014 semester, in-state tuition is $177.75 per credit hour, while out-of-state tuition is $355.50, special tuition is $266.63. In addition, there is a Continuing Education fee of $51.50 per credit hour. Currently, tuition and fees for 2015-2016 have not been determined.


What payment options are available? 

You may pay the full amount by the sixth day of the Fall/Spring semester (second day of the Summer session), by either check via mail, by stopping by the Student Financial Services Office, or by e-check or credit card via Wildcats Online.

You can enroll in an automatic payment plan. Cost is $25 to enroll per semester.  You can get more information and enroll online at


Contact the Student Financial Services Office at (402) 375-7229 for payment inquiries.


*Note: Paper bills will no longer be sent.  You need to access your account through Wildcats Online.  Reminder: Place your username and password in a location where it can be easily accessed.



Is financial aid available?

Yes. Because you will be enrolled at least half-time, you may qualify for a federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (DL). The DL program provides loans of up to $20,500.00 per year for graduate students.  Unsubsidized loans accrue interest while the student is enrolled.  Students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) each year.  This form can be completed online at  For further information, contact the WSC Student Financial Services Office at 402-375-7229 or by e-mail at:


If you are receiving financial aid and should it not be in place at the beginning of a semester, you may need to arrange for a short-term note elsewhere until your loan is granted. All fees must be paid in full before you can register for the next semester.


Students qualifying for Veterans Administration benefits should contact the Records and Registration Office at 402-375-7239.

For more information:
Brook Jech, Office Assistant III
Wayne State College
School of Education and Counseling Office
1111 Main Street
Wayne NE 68787
1-800-228-9972 ext. 7164 or

Wayne State College
Our focus is your future
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Watch us on Youtube
Linked IN